Most years Geotab hosts Geotab Connect where it showcases the latest industry and trends, and this year the event was held again since the COVID Pandemic started. I wanted to share some of the highlights with you as they are important to consider when choosing a telematics provider.
Colin Sutherland, Geotab’s Chief Customer Officer, took the stage to open the show. He spoke about the importance of people and relationships in the usage of vehicle data.
Speaking about how telematics has evolved from dots on a map to data generators, he noted that fleet managers are now making big decisions based on data-driven intelligence.
At the last Connect in January 2020, Geotab had two million vehicles connected. In January 2023, that number had climbed to 3.2 million vehicles, proving that telematics is the way forward.
Here were the top takeaways from the CEO presentation:
- Safety – Collisions pose a huge cost to companies and the risk of injuries or even death are of great concern for all organizations. Telematics is shown to cut collisions by 30%.
- Sustainability – The single easiest way to start your sustainability journey is with telematics. It can cut emissions on existing fleets by 20% through routing, choosing the right vehicle for the right job, eliminating aggressive driving and improving idling.
- Operations – Geotab is hitting critical scale when it comes to data, offering fleet managers tremendous amounts of data to help them benchmark themselves against the best fleets in the world. Ferguson Enterprises for example, was able to cut $1.2 million off their maintenance budget with fault code monitoring and DVIR. Utilizing vehicle right-sizing and fuel saving behaviors, Ferguson also saved over $9 million in fuel costs when benchmarked against similar fleets in the Geotab ecosystem.
What does the future of telematics at Geotab look like? Neil highlighted the following:
- Sustainability – The first thing to do is to make sure you’re getting the very best data out of your ICE and EVs.
- Government – Geotab has more than 2,500 government customers and over 500,000 subscriptions. By 2026 we expect to have nearly 1,000,000 subscriptions across more than 5,000 government customers, representing the fastest growing market vertical within Geotab.
- AI – AI is the future and is changing the way we look at data. AI will help create more efficiencies, reduce costs and boost safety. It starts with collecting high-quality data, and then providing a framework to preserve privacy and a customer’s competitive advance.
- Marketplace – Geotab believes in the power of choice. There are so many solutions available on the Marketplace today through our Partners with an amazing set of new solutions and improvements coming throughout 2023.
In closing, Neil explained it’s not about the Geotab GO device today. The device itself is a means to collect data and it’s what you do with that data that matters the most.
As authorized Geotab resellers, we here at GPS to GO can help you make the best decision when it comes to planning for and purchasing your telematics devices and solutions. If you would like to learn more about about how we can help you, click here to get a complimentary quote.