Fleets ranging from a few vehicles up to thousands of vehicles can see substantial benefits by making use of Geotab GPS Tracking. For Southern Wine & Spirits of America, which runs a fleet of 2,200 vehicles serving 187,000 customers across 35 states, that has certainly been the case.
Running such a large fleet requires a great deal of organization, logistics, and these days, technology, to ensure that customers’ needs are met. Orders are often delivered the same or next day after being placed.
That means that each day, there are new routes, new stops and new schedules. This requires balancing a number of concerns that are common to many companies in the distribution space with a need to improve productivity with GPS tracking such as:
- Optimizing routes
- Planning stops
- Monitoring vehicle availability
- Managing vehicle maintenance
- Enforcing driver scheduling
The solution: Geotab Fleet Tracking
“One reason we chose Geotab is because their hardware allowed us easily to integrate with our routing software — enabling us to optimize our routing based on feedback from the location information provided by the telematics” – Larry Sullivan, VP of Fleet, Safety & Compliance, Southern Wine & Spirits of America
Southern has been using Geotab as its go-to fleet tracking solution for four years now. Some of the uses and benefits it has provided include:
- Improved route timing. The company uses a routing software that seamlessly integrates with Geotab. In fact, one of the big advantages that Geotab has over other products is its incredible support of third-party software and apparatus.
Larry Sullivan, the company’s VP of Fleet, Safety & Compliance, told Geotab.com that the platform’s ease of integration was a big factor behind their choice of Geotab.
“One reason we chose Geotab is because their hardware allowed us easily to integrate with our routing software — enabling us to optimize our routing based on feedback from the location information provided by the telematics,” he said.
- Significant reduction in idling time, leading to financial savings. When the company began to examine its drivers patterns, it recognized additional cost-saving opportunities and the opportunity to reach more customers in a day – ultimately leading to a more productive fleet.
- Improved driver behavior through a reduction in speeding and events such as hard stops, fast starts, etc. Not only is this a driver safety issue, it’s a product quality issue, as their cargo consists largely of breakable glass bottles.
- Increased safety through the use of seatbelt monitoring.
- Better accountability for the drivers’ behavior and whereabouts in the event of a dispute or collision on the roads.
The company has also began to experiment with using data collected from the Geotab platform to monitor and reduce its fuel consumption in order to maximize their return on investment through the device.
Business Benefits for Companies Large and Small
Whether you’re running a local operation, a regional organization or a national powerhouse, Geotab GPS tracking is flexible to your needs. Take a look at some of the benefits of GPS for business and put your company on the fast track to fleet success today.
Want to test the results firsthand? Take advantage of our $50 fleet tracking trial offer to get rolling today. We’ll walk you through a brief demo, and send you the device(s) and you plug them in to your vehicle(s). They take only seconds to install. Test them on your fleet. When you’re ready to purchase, we’ll credit the $50 to your account. Best of all, there’s no contract, and no obligation whatsoever.
Russ Salo, President
GPS to GO, Now You Know